Tuesday, May 5, 2009


o My name is Lyz Hazelton, and I am a dance major and gender studies minor here at Mount Holyoke College. For my Dance in the 20th Century final project, I chose to focus my show on dancer Loie Fuller, and her contributions not only to the world of modern dance, but also at her innovations in lighting techniques and costuming. I found this particular topic fascinating because it is relatively rare to find a performer whose originality is instituted not only in their movement, but also in other elements of their performance that are, to me, just as important. It is common practice today to have a choreographer, a performer, a lighting designer, a costume designer, and a multitude of other people working on one show – it is unusual to find one person taking on all of these tasks, as Loie Fuller did at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century.

1 comment: